Romeo Travis, Paul Lee banged up in Magnolia's loss

Wells, Beermen stay undefeated in Governors' Cup (2:10)

Dez Wells finished with 33 points and made the key defensive stop in the final seconds as the San Miguel Beermen stay unbeaten in the Governors' Cup. (2:10)

Magnolia's 90-89 loss to San Miguel hurt in multiple ways. Import Romeo Travis was the first one to hit the bench after twisting his right ankle on a fastbreak play with 4:44 left in the game. He was unable to return but still finished with 31 points, 12 boards, six assists and four steals in 37 minutes.

Travis exited the Mall of Asia Arena on a wheelchair, but he downplayed concerns and said the team has yet to determine the severity of the injury.

"It's hard to tell right now. It's a little swollen, but we'll find out more tomorrow. The only reason I'm in a wheelchair is because it's a long walk through the garage. I don't wanna walk that far until we find out more tomorrow," said Travis.

Coach Chito Victolero said the team isn't looking for a backup import just yet.

"Even if we have a backup, we know he won't arrive fast enough. Our physical therapist said we're still positive that they can still find a way and that maybe it won't be that bad," he said.

Paul Lee also gave the Hotshots a bit of a scare after crashing hard on the floor with under three minutes to go. Lee went up for a drive against SMB's Dez Wells during the break, but slight, unintentional contact sent him falling face-first into the hardwood.

Lee lost the same tooth that went flying from an elbow against Talk 'N Text import Ivan Johnson in Game 3 of the 2015 Commissioner's Cup Finals. Lee said he'll have it fixed quickly.

"I was a bit dizzy at first, but I was able to recover after getting some rest. I know it's going to start hurting tomorrow, though," Lee said in Filipino. "I'll just head to the dentist and I'll be fine, it'll be like the way it was before."

Adding insult to injury -- or injuries, in this case -- was the way the Hotshots lost down the wire. While Lee was able to return for Magnolia's last-ditch effort to steal the win in the final eight seconds, the team seems to have sorely missed Travis' presence on the offensive end down the stretch.

"Yeah, it was a tough loss. We had our chances late. Couple of missed calls on both sides. Referees really influenced the game both ways today. It could've gone either way. We had our chances, though, after I went down," said the import.

Despite a tough outing, both Lee and Travis liked how they matched up against the Beermen until the final buzzer and assured that Magnolia can only get better as the conference trudges on.

"We held a high-powered offense to 90. Our goal was to hold them under 90. We did pretty well. I'm proud of the guys that kept fighting even after I went down. It would've have been easy to give up, but they kept fighting. It's gonna be a good conference for us," said Travis.