The PBA is planning to take the next step in restarting its 2020 season by hopefully holding scrimmages this September.
Commissioner Willie Marcial said Tuesday that he will be writing to the Inter-Agency Task Force on the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) to ask if teams can hold more intensive workouts ahead of a planned bubble tournament next month.
"This September, susulat na ko sa task force para sa scrimmages. Sana makalaro tayo by October," he said.
Teams are still on limited workouts by batches as the Philippine government kept Metro Manila on general community quarantine (GCQ), but Marcial said this doesn't discourage the PBA from trying to bat for actual scrimmages.
"'Yun naman ang ikabubuti ng publiko. Wala naman problema sa amin 'yon. Pero sana payagan tayo makapag-scrimmages nitong September," he said.
So far, teams have kept in line with the health guidelines and protocols set by the league and mandated by the joint administrative order signed by the Department of Health, the Games and Amusements Board (GAB) and the Philippine Sports Commission.
"Nakikita naman natin sa video na OK naman ang practices nila. Nakikita natin. Nakikita rin naman ang GAB kasi may pictures and videos kami," he said.
In terms of deciding on the venue of the PBA bubble, Marcial said chairman Ricky Vargas may set a meeting sometime next week.
"Depende pa kay chairman (Ricky Vargas). Baka next week 'yon," he said.
"May nag-present na sa'kin na mga hotels, mga lima na," added Marcial. "Meron sa Palawan, 'yung Dubai, meron sa Pasay, meron sa Makati, meron sa Quezon City. Marami. Sila talaga nag-e-express ng interest i-hold 'yung bubble ng PBA. Nakakatuwa naman."