How the PBA is handling its first suspected COVID-19 case

PBA referee under quarantine as suspected COVID case (5:49)

PBA deputy commissioner Eric Castro explains the protocols the league is taking after a referee was put into quarantine as a suspected COVID case (5:49)

The PBA moves to make changes while considering conflicting COVID-19 test results for one of its referees.

The league is proceeding with additional steps to guarantee the safety of everyone involved in trying to finish the 2020 season. Here's everything we know so far about the case.

Has the referee been isolated?

Yes. In an earlier statement, the league said they isolated the referee at the Athlete's Village in Capas, Tarlac and he was tested again Wednesday afternoon.

What are the test results?

Deputy commissioner Eric Castro told ESPN5.com's Carlo Pamintuan that the Clark Development Corporation (CDC) informed the league Tuesday that "one of our game officials tested positive. ... So we immediately did the necessary protocols such as contact tracing."

Castro confirmed the referee officiated the Blackwater-Alaska game Tuesday night. The referee, however, produced a negative antigen test in Tarlac Wednesday afternoon. The league is still awaiting swab results, which will take up to five days.

"Our medical experts, like PBA medical consultant Dr. Raul Canlas and those from the DOH and CDC, are telling us that it might be a false positive," commissioner Willie Marcial said in Filipino Wednesday evening. "More than 300 delegates who entered the bubble tested negative and he was the only one who tested positive."

Did the referee test positive in prior tests?

No. Tuesday's result was his fourth test. The league said he had two tests before entering Clark and another two inside the bubble, and all came out negative.

"We don't know how he tested positive because he was the only one who did among 28 other tests taken at the same time. Even the doctors are wondering how that happened. "

Did the referee come in contact with other people?

Yes. The league said there are eight first and second layer contacts currently under strict isolation and that they will be retested on Oct. 24. Included are the referees whom he worked with on Tuesday.

How did the referee test positive? Did he breach any protocols?

The PBA said no protocols have been violated. But the league's medical team, CDC officials and the Department of Health are evaluating risks.

Will he be quarantined?

Yes. The referee will remain on a strict-14 day quarantine at the Athletes' Village.

Will games continue?

Yes. The CDC has cleared the PBA to proceed with its Philippine Cup schedule and will implement stricter measures.

Are there any other measures that were taken?

Other activities in Quest Hotel, including swimming, the use of gym, and jogging are temporarily suspended until Thursday, the league said. Movement of officials, players, media and everyone else inside the bubble are also restricted in the meantime.

Will those present in the Blackwater-Alaska game be retested?

Yes. Marcial, as well as Blackwater assistant coach Pat Aquino, confirmed that all players, coaches and personnel from the Aces and Elite will undergo testing Thursday morning at 9.