The PBA will wait until June 15 to see whether there will be any change in the quarantine classification over the NCR Plus bubble before plotting the next course of action for the 46th Season tip-off.
Commissioner Willie Marcial said Saturday that the league's next steps will only be determined once the Philippine government decides to retain or alter the general community quarantine (GCQ) status currently placed under the cluster of Metro Manila, Bulacan, Rizal, Laguna, and Cavite.
"We're just waiting to see what the status will be on June 15," Marcial said in Filipino during a virtual press conference.
If Malacañang decides to keep the NCR Plus bubble under GCQ, the commissioner said the league could try moving team scrimmages back to Metro Manila.
There's also hope that after June 15, the PBA could get approval from the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) to start the season late June or early July. Marcial said on June 3 that the league is eyeing the Ynares Center in Antipolo or the Ynares Sports Arena in Pasig for the season hosting.
"I'll write again and present again to the Task Force on June 15," said Marcial. " I don't want to give a specific date. But we're targeting the last week of June or the first week of July."
At the moment, nine teams are currently practicing in three separate locations in the province of Batangas. TNT and Meralco are holed up in Laoag, while NLEX is in Clark.
"We've been practicing for about three to four weeks now, and so far everything is smooth sailing," he described.