Texas OL Patrick Hudson still hospitalized but doing better, AD Chris Del Conte says

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas sophomore offensive lineman Patrick Hudson was still in the hospital Saturday after being treated in intensive care for a heat-related illness at practice earlier this week.

Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte told The Associated Press that he visited Hudson in the hospital and said "he's great, better." Del Conte also said Texas is reviewing what happened at Wednesday's practice and how Hudson was treated by medical staff, but he said he has seen nothing so far that troubles him in that review.

School officials have not described Hudson's condition other than to say Thursday night that he was taken out of intensive care and was "improving."

The 6-foot-4, 335-pound Hudson had what coach Tom Herman called a "full body cramp" when the Longhorns practiced outside in 95-degree weather. According to campus police, an ambulance was called to the stadium just before 7 p.m.

Head athletic trainer Anthony Pass said Hudson was being treated for "exertional heat cramps" when medical staff noticed that his body temperature rising and he was placed in a cold tub. Hudson was taken to the hospital when the treatment didn't get his temperature down to proper levels.

"We're going through the whole protocol, how it happened, where it happened, how it went. Yes, we're reviewing all that and having our doctors also look at the whole thing," Del Conte said.

Del Conte said doctors are still performing tests on Hudson, but he would not divulge what they are looking for or if Hudson is having any problems.

"I see him every day. They're just waiting for more tests to come," Del Conte said. "I think there's other issues that are not related to his cramping."

Maryland offensive lineman Jordan McNair died of heatstroke on June 13 after he was overcome by heat at practice two weeks earlier, prompting the school to part ways with its strength and conditioning coach. Maryland beat Texas last weekend 34-29 in the first game of the season.

Hudson's relatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Del Conte said Hudson described Wednesday's practice as routine.

"I've talked to him, and he was like, 'It was not an unusual practice.' He was drinking water, the electrolytes, doing everything he was supposed to be doing," Del Conte said. "It was not an unusually heavy practice or an unusually hot practice. He said, 'I was not doing anything different.'"

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.