2018/2019 English Premier League
  • James Tarkowski (6')
  • Andre Gray (3')
  • Troy Deeney (48')
  • Will Hughes (51')

Troy Deeney inspires Watford to victory at Burnley

Watford made it two wins out of two and ended their run of poor away form in impressive fashion as early second half strikes from captain Troy Deeney and Will Hughes gave them a 3-1 win at Burnley in the Premier League on Sunday.

Watford, who have won their opening two games of the season for the first time in the Premier League era, had been winless in their last 12 away games and had not even scored on the road since January.

It took the visitors just three minutes to end that streak as former Burnley forward Andre Gray opened the scoring with a superbly taken volley from a fine Deeney cross from the right flank.

Three minutes later, though, Burnley got back on level terms when James Tarkowski rose well at the back post to head in a Johann Berg Gudmundsson corner.

It was end-to-end, entertaining football for the rest of the first half although there was only one real effort on goal when Deeney tested Burnley keeper Joe Hart with a low, long-range effort five minutes before the interval.

Burnley, who have now gone seven league games without a win, were swept aside by two goals in the opening six minutes of the second half.

The influential Deeney drove home in the 48th minute after being found in the box by a clever pass from Abdoulaye Doucoure then a terrible giveaway by Burnley defender Matt Lowton to Will Hughes resulted in the Watford midfielder firing past Joe Hart with a brilliant left-foot strike.

"It is important the amount of goals, but the quality as well. Today, the strikers Troy Deeney and Andre Gray scored which is very important for them and the team," said Watford's Spanish manager Javi Gracia.

"Will Hughes scored an outstanding goal, I am happy for all of them.

"All the players are working a lot. Troy, for example, has a brilliant attitude every training session. We will try to keep that in the next games."

Burnley manager Sean Dyche accepted his side had handed the game to Watford after the interval.

"We gave the game to the opposition, they still had to capitalise on it, but we basically gave it to them in the first five minutes of the second half, after a very good first half," said Dyche.

"I warned them at halftime, so I am frustrated about that, I warned them that they are going to try to come out of the blocks like they did in the first half and we have to respond to that."