2019-20 Australian A League, Regular Season
  • Jason Hoffman (31')
  • Diego Castro (86')
  • Alex Grant (87')

Newcastle Jets still winless after being held at home by Perth Glory

Newcastle Jets are still without a win in the A-League season after drawing with Perth 1-1 at McDonald Jones Stadium.

In a spirited showing on Saturday in front of a home crowd of 8,038 fans, the Jets led 1-0 and looked set for their first win of the season before Glory's Diego Castro popped up late on to dash their hopes. Kicking the intensity up a notch, Glory defender Alex Grant was sent off in the 87th minute for his second yellow card, less than a minute after Perth levelled the scores at 1-1.

Jets star Nick Fitzgerald had two big chances in the second half to take the lead, but missed both attempts in clear space.

The hosts had all the running for most of the game, but the Glory rallied late to continue their long history of dominance over the Jets, including five wins in a row and 18 of their last 24 games. Newcastle were aggressive with the football and showed plenty of heart in the first half, but scoring chances went begging.

Fans were livid when midfielder Nick Fitzgerald appeared to be pushed in the back on 22 minutes by Glory defender Grant, but the VAR ruled no penalty. However, they kept the pressure on and when Glory midfielder Juande was yellow carded following a challenge on defender Johnny Koutroumbis, momentum started to swing.

In the following minute, the Jets landed the first blow of the afternoon to go ahead 1-0. A pass into the box from Steven Ugarkovic was timed to perfection, and with clear space ahead of him, Jason Hoffman scored a superb goal.

Shortly afterwards there was a push and shove with both Grant and Matthew Ridenton yellow carded.

The Jets looked likely to score again after half-time but Fitzgerald's effort was blocked by a sliding Grant in defence. Fitzgerald found himself in open space again in the 67th minute but this time his shot sailed over the bar.

Perth's first real chance came in the 77th minute when Socceroos striker Chris Ikonomidis hit the crossbar from the edge of the box. Not until Castro's late goal was the game saved for Glory, who remain fifth on the ladder.