Reigning Liga MX champions Tigres have confirmed their interest in signing Chile international Eduardo Vargas from Bundesliga outfit Hoffenheim.
There had been reports from Germany and Mexico on Wednesday that 27-year-old Vargas was nearing a move to Tigres, having previously been linked to Galatasary in Turkey, the Chinese Super League, as well as Flamengo and Palmeiras in Brazil.
"Vargas is one of the alternatives for Tigres," sporting director Miguel Angel Garza told the media outside Estadio Universitario on Thursday. "Now we have to take into consideration the question of timing so he can come to Tigres."
Garza stressed that signing a player of Vargas stature is "within Tigres' budget," with reports suggesting the Liga MX club has tabled a bid of $6 million, although there are only five days left in the January transfer window to close the potential deal.
Garza also acknowledged that a player would first have to leave if the Chilean is to join.
"Step one is for the situation with one of our players to become clear so that another can come in," said Garza, whose team caused a shock when it signed France international Andre-Pierre Gignac in June 2015.
Vargas is likely to replace French striker Andy Delort, who moved to Tigres last summer and has struggled to earn a starting place, with Garza accepting that three teams have approached Tigres about Delort.
There have been multiple reports suggesting Delort will leave the club imminently to go back to Europe.