Toni Silva goes from hero to villain for Mamelodi Sundowns in MTN8 defeat

Pitso Mosimane has been very critical of Sundowns' fixture schedule Chris Ricco/BackpagePix

Guinea-Bissau international Toni Silva went from hero to villain as Mamelodi Sundowns were dumped out of a second cup competition in a week with a penalty shootout loss to Cape Town City in the semi final of the MTN8.

Silva scored his first goal for Sundowns to hand them a 1-0 victory in the second leg, which forced the game into a shoot-out.

However, he then saw his penalty saved by City's Dutch goalkeeper Peter Leeuwenburgh, which, coupled with a miss by Anthony Laffor, saw City claim the 4-2 win on spot-kicks.

That sets up a repeat of last year's final as City will meet SuperSport United in the decider on September 29, with the latter having lifted the trophy in 2017 after a shoot-out win in Durban.

It means a third final in as many seasons for City after they lifted the Telkom Knockout in their maiden campaign in 2016, before losing the MTN8 decider last year, which was coach Benni McCarthy's first year in charge.

For Sundowns, it is yet more disappointment in a competition they last won in 2007, and follows their unexpected exit from the CAF Champions League in Tuesday.

They have now won just a single game in their last five, and only scored one goal in that time too.

Sundowns had a strong shout for a penalty when Silva had his ankle stood on by City defender Kwanda Mngonyama, but referee Victor Hlongwane waved play-on.

Replays showed that while Mngonyama had eyes only for the ball and the contact was accidental, it was a foul, and the home side were unlucky not to be given the spot-kick.

However, the Brazilians' long wait for a goal, which stretched beyond seven hours in all competitions was finally ended when Themba Zwane's shot was only parried by Leeuwenburgh and Gaston Sirino laid the ball on a plate for Silva to tap in at the far post.

Craig Martin came close to equalizing for the visitors when his excellent run saw him skip past three defenders, but his scuffed shot was brilliantly saved by Denis Onyango.

Ayanda Patosi and Thabo Nodada both had shots blocked from close range in quick succession, while Anthony Laffor headed over for Sundowns.

The match went to penalties, and Leeuwenburgh proved the hero with two saves to send his side through.