La Liga has formally proposed to move Girona's game against Barcelona to the United States after a meeting in Madrid on Monday.
Delegates from La Liga and the Spanish Footballers' Association (AFE) met to discuss plans to hold regular-season games in the U.S. beginning this season as part of a 15-year marketing agreement between the league and Relevent Sports.
The AFE has vehemently remained against the proposal, and in a statement, it said it has "made known the players' displeasure regarding the lack of information surrounding the agreement of having a league game played in the United States."
According to the AFE, La Liga will prepare a thorough proposal for the players, who will then decide whether to approve it and participate in the game.
Barcelona midfielder Sergio Busquets said on Monday that players had not made up their minds about the game yet.
"We are seeking the best solution for players, fans and football," he said during a news conference with Spain's national team.
La Liga and Relevent are confident their plans to move the game to the U.S. will go ahead, but the Spanish FA, U.S. Soccer, UEFA, CONCACAF and the Spanish sports council must all approve it. The location has not been determined, but reports indicate organisers will hold it in the Miami area.
The game was scheduled to be played on Jan. 27 at Girona's Estadi Montilivi. La Liga president Javier Tebas said last week that up to 1,500 supporters of the home team could have their travel to the U.S. and their accommodations subsidised by the league if they wish to attend.